The ruins of the «Hochburg»
The ruins of the medieval castle « Hochburg » are one of the largest castle complexes of the region Baden-Württemberg. It is situated between Emmendingen and Sexau.
The castle was founded by the ruling lords of Hachberg and mentioned in a document for the first time in 1127.
In 1415 the castle became the property ot the margraves of Baden.
In the 16th and 17th centuries the castle was enlarged several times and converted into a fortress. The alterations of the fortress were carried out each time in accordance with the latest developments in fortress construction techniques, therefore still clearly discernable today.
During the 30 Years War the Hochburg was conquered after a two year siege in 1636 and was finally destroyed.
Its reconstruction began in 1660.
In 1688 the fortress had to be surrendered to french troups, who blew it up a year later.
1971 an association was founded to ensure the preservation of the fortress in cooperation with the German Federal State of Baden-Württemberg.
Within the walls of the fortress this association has created a museum which can be visited every Sunday during the summer months.